28 things I learned this year
I turned 29 this year. This is the first time in my life where I keep thinking I'm younger than I am. To be honest I didn't know what life was going to be like after 28.
28 is the age people seem to be in sitcoms, when they're beginning to discover who they truly are or what their purpose is. It also seems to be the age many entrepreneurs start their companies or hit their strides.
For me 28 was a year of intense growth, change, and discomfort. In an effort to share some wisdom I would like to present 28 things I learned at 28. I hope you enjoy and maybe find a few of them helpful.
1. Sometimes work is great and sometimes it’s a battle. Just because it’s not amazing 100% of the time doesn’t mean it isn’t your dream job. We were not made to feel amazing 100% of the time.
2. Slow down and get comfortable with stillness. Try taking an hour Saturday mornings for quiet contemplation and evaluation on your actions.
3. Multi-tasking is a myth.
3. Passion typically masks a weakness.
4. We must think big but act small.
5. Trust the timing of your life.
6. "We cannot choose our external circumstances but we can choose how we respond to them." —Epictetus
7. Sleep is sacred.
8. You become who you know and conform to your surroundings. Make this work in your favor by surrounding yourself with the right people.
9. No one self-identifies with "the average" person.
10. There will never be a perfect time for the big decisions in life.
11. Don’t settle for the way things are. Seek for understanding yourself.
12. We need to be the CEO of our own lives.
13. "Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know." —Lao tzu
14. We all need mentors.
15. Military maxim: “Never do a task too well, or you’ll be stuck with it forever.”
16. "Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." —Arthur Ashe
17. Work doesn't want to be good, you need to make it good.
18. We can only connect the dots looking backward, never forward.
19. Try meditating for 10 minutes a day. Get comfortable sitting alone in silence and being present with your thoughts.
20. Patience and time.
21. Get a dog, take a lot of walks and watch your stress disappear.
22. Breathing techniques can work magic on the mind and body. 4-7-8 is my favorite for calming the central nervous system.
23. No one knows anything for sure. We can't predict the future.
24. No one cares how hard you work.
25. No one cares how many books you read.
26. On nutrition: the focus is about inclusion not exclusion. Stop removing foods and instead focus on adding more healthy ones.
27. Running is healthier for the mind than the body.
28. Take notes while you read by highlighting and saving pieces. Revisit them once in a while. Put them on the internet in list form.